Wednesday, February 1, 2012

100+ College Essay Topics 12

What is your favorite word, and why? (University of Virginia)

My favorite word is ‘love’ because

Love is  blind.
Love is  a happy childhood
Love is encouraging his attentions
Love is a sign that spring can not be far away
Love is trust
Love is understanding
Love is pure

Also according to Corinthians chapter 13 :
‘ 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought 
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Love is one of the only words in any language that does not have negative meaning. Love has a positive meaning not only in English, but also Korean, Japanese, Hindi and other languages. I like things to be direct, without any other side whether it is a word or a person. The word love has only has positive meaning. Also, it only contains positive words to describe the word. Last and most importantly, I think without love there will be no trust, the basic need for any relationship. However, unlike trust, which is easy to be broken, love is firm.  

8 comments:

  1. Nice article. I like how you support your argument through the bible and the way you overall answer the prompt. I believe that you can improve by presenting your argument rather than showing supporting evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post! Nice use of the bible, too. I know you're not very religious, but it's interesting to know what you identify with in, I guess, the religion your family follows. I also really like your last paragraph. I never thought of it that way, especially with such amazing "music" as "Hate that I love you" or something. Nice ideas. I think maybe you could change the order of your essay, or what would be nicer is if you write a little more after the 30 minutes I'm assuming you decided to write it in. It was reading nicely in general though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first poem like paragraph is awesome.
    Its so true and also its so irritating when people associate love only with two people liking each othe.
    The word love has so much more to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally, someone who has a deep understanding of that emotion. I have grown absolutely tired of seeing and hearing superficial definitions of love. Thank you for recognizing it's potential!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you wrote the various aspects of life and connected it with love. I agree with how you said that love has a positive meaning in all languages :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has anyone else wondered why love is called "love?" lol jk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that your definition of love is too vague and in covers too large a scope. If love holds such huge value to you then it will be impossible for you to find any. If you expect so much out of love then I am sure you will be disappoionted by the end of it. Also love can have negative meanings for many people for instance a child who had a sad childhood. According to your definintion, love is not firm, infact, it is brittle and can be diminshed by many means.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard negative meanings of love in different languages. Usually guys using it in a bad way. I'm pretty sure "love" does have negative meaning.

    ReplyDelete