Friday, March 16, 2012

Week 2, Prompt 4: "Of Studies"

"Of Studies"
by Sir Francis Bacon
C.A- Studying is beneficial to humans because when studies are balanced with personal experience, it help to work on human’s imperfections.

Francis Bacon was an English lawyer, states, historian, intellectual reformer, essayist and many more during his era. As an intellectual reformer and an essayist he wrote an essay about studies, “Of studies.” His central argument all throughout the essay is that, Studying is beneficial to humans because when studies are balanced with personal experience, it help to work on human’s imperfections. I agree with this statement with the three reasons to study that he provides with it; for one’s entertainment, to outshine other with one’s knowledge and to gain one’s experience. This can be supported with Fahrenheit 451, personal experience and lecture.
Firstly, in the novel Fahrenheit 451,by Bradbury, is about a fireman trying to save the book even when he has to go against the society’s rule and his job. Guy Montag is a fireman in the book is not there to save people from fire, rather to set books on fire so that no one will have access to it. This novel is set in a Utopian society where the books are not allowed; however, one day Guy Montag gets access to a book and starts reading the book for an entrainment. Although he gets in to a big trouble, for reading is strictly prohibited by the society. Reading is the basic way of learning and it can be seen from Guy Montag that the wanted to study for his entrainment. Also, with the help of the book he got more humane qualities, one of this imperfections in the novel.
Unlike some people who study for their own will, I study am pushed by my own worries to study.  Like most of the high school student the goal of my life at this point is to get accepted to a good university. In order for me to get in to a better university I need to be better at studies than other. That is the main reason that I study. This supports the second part of Bacon’s argument; some studies to outshine other. Though I am not perfect, with more knowledge I am getting from school I think I am working on perfecting myself.
Every year I get the same lecture from my parents about my father’s friend. There are some people who studies to gain one’s experience, one of them being my father’s friend. Though he is successful, when he was young he could not afford internships abroad, thus he read book of other to gain his experience. With help of the secondhand knowledge that he gained got a job in a big company, for he sounded like a person with various experiences. This supposes Bacon’s third point; people study to gain one’s experience. Thus, with the help of the book he covered the qualities that he was lacking in.
I am sure that there are more than these three reasons, to entertainment oneself, to outshine other with one’s knowledge and to gain one’s experience, to study. I do agree with Bacon that, studying is beneficial to humans because it help to become a better person. This can be supported by a novel, personal experience and lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment