Friday, March 30, 2012

Week 4: Why we like what we like.

"Why We Like What We Like"
by Alva Noë


C.A- People tend to focus more on which situation they are in rather than to depend on their senses as shown in the example of wine taster, pate and dog food, and other blind tastes.

            Many say that human depend on the five senses are the key factors while deciding whether we like the object or not. However, according to the article “Why we like what we like” by Alava Noe, it is the situation that matter more than what people’s senses. The author provides the point through blind tests of drinks, food and even lovers. She also states that these tests were done through a professor of Yale to build the ethos. I agree with this statement, that people tend to look the situation more than what they sense, with help of two new article and my personal experience.

            This winter break I read an interesting article about a man, who died in a storage part of an ice- cream truck. What interested me was not the fact that he dead in an ice- cream truck, but the fact that he was shivering to death. Now some might think that is normal as ice-cream truck is usually cold anyhow. However, the storage that man was locked in was not on, in fact it was only 22’C, room temperate. According to the scientist, who invested the case, the man died because he thought of the situation that he was in rather than relying on his sense.

            Unlike the man, who died in the ice- cream storage which was not even turn on, there was a man survived in a situation that no one thought that he would survive. In Korea there last summer there was a landslide. Due to the landslide a man who was walking was buried under soil and a tree for a day. When the people heard about this incident they all thought that he was going to be dead, so they went will tools needed to find dead body. Surprisingly, when people found the guy, he was not dead. A reporter found about this incident and asked him how he survived, he said he thought of the situation like he was playing hide and seek. According to him that was the secret to survive from the landslide.

            Although I do not look like the type who will be picky with the food, people who knows me well knows that I do not like many food items. However, only my parents know the reason behind me not eating pork. It is not because of the smell or texture or appetence of pork; to be honest I don’t even remember the taste. The real reason that I do not pork is because of the awful experience that I had while eating pork.  The first time that my father shouted at me was while we were eating pork. As a little girl, who has never been shouted at before, it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. Thus, every time I see pork I think of the experience that I had and end up not eating pork. It is the situation that matters more than the actual taste of pork.
         
I agree people tend to focus on focus more on which situation they are in rather than to depend on their senses. This is because of the articles that I read before and my personal experience matches with Noe’s central argument

No comments:

Post a Comment