Friday, March 30, 2012

Week 4: Please Read This Story, Thank you.

Please Read This Story, Thank you.
By Linton Weeks

C.A- People are becoming ruder while they are speaking as polite phases are used less often in our daily conversation.

            My grandmother often says that people in now days are rude, and self- center. As a granddaughter, who want to be loved by my grandmother I try to be nice at least in front of her. However, as there are many reports in Korea about rude teenagers in public places I cannot help myself, but to believe that our generation is becoming ruder in general. Linton Weeks, the author of “Please read this story, thank you,” says that people are becoming more impolite and this can be proven by the phases that we say. I agree with Linton Weeks’ argument with news article and personal experiences.

            In Korean online- newspaper there is at least one article about a teenage, who either abused public space or a person who is much older than them. Sometimes there are even videos uploaded about the rude teenagers. The videos that are uploaded is contains so much of inappropriate languages, so much so that it is almost embarrassing to a Korean. Although sometime what they are trying to say is not that rude because of the words that they use it sounds more harsh and rude. When my parent saw the news, they said in our generation there were less ill- mannered words and because of that their generation was much more polite than of our generation. Thus, I agree with Weeks that people are becoming more impolite and it can be seen through the words that are used.

            Although in Woodstock School there is no student as bad as the Korean teenagers in the news, sometime I cannot help but to notice the lack of ‘magic words’ in Woodstock. Yes, we do say thank you and please to our friends, but how about the employees? How many times do students say thank you or please to them? Every mealtime as I put my tray I try say thank you to the employee, but many of us do not even try. I believe one part of the definition of rude is not being thankful. Thus, I agree that people are becoming ruder and this can be seen by the words that we use not only to our friend, but also the employees.

            This week Tuesday one of our class’ advisors came up and spoke to the class about how self- centered the students are in Woodstock. So on Thursday our advisor talked about the devotion and one of the respond was that students are not thankful in Woodstock. According to my advisor this can be seen through lack of times that students say thank you or please to the teachers.  Although not being thankful does not automatically mean rude, however, with the words that we do not use we are becoming rude.

            I agree with Weeks central argument as it is supported by my personal experience and the news article that I read. I believe this should not just end by writing about the issue, but we should learn from our mistakes and try to become more polite to people around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment